Piercing is considered as one of the coolest thing among the young crowd these days. It is done on any part of the body. Lip piercing is one of the most sensitive types of piercing and also very popular. You must have gathered your courage and done your favorite Madonna piercing. However, you find an ugly swelling immediately after piercing. Well, here are some piercing aftercare tips that you can follow to get rid of the swelling and also prevent contracting infection.
Methods to Reduce Swelling in Lip Piercing
You should avoid eating anything, drinking or even smoking for 3-4 hours immediately after piercing. Bleeding and swelling are the most common symptoms seen in the initial days of piercing. You can use mild over-the-counter medications to treat bleeding. You can also consult your health care provider for medications to treat bleeding caused due to lip piercing. Here are some methods on reducing lip piercing swelling.
- Using ice is considered as the best method used for healing lip piercing. You can place an ice pack directly on the swollen area for some time and repeat this for a couple of times to get rid of the swelling.
- You can also suck on a fresh Popsicle (made from mineral and pure water) to create the same effect as that of an ice pack.
- Using a saline solution is also one of the best methods for treating swelling. You can either buy saline solution from the chemist or make it on your own. Lower your lips directly in the saline solution for a couple of times a day to get rid of the swelling soon.
- Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash after eating anything will help in reducing the risk of an infection.
- You can have chewable anti-inflammatory tablets to get rid of the inflammation and also prevent infection.
Tips on Lip Piercing Aftercare
Along with the above mentioned methods, you also need to follow these tips to avoid further risk of infection.
- As lip piercing swelling is an open wound, you need to avoid kissing and oral sex until the wound gets healed completely.
- You should avoid eating extremely hot and cold food or anything that can cause irritation to the mouth and lips.
- Smoking, drinking, and drugs should also be avoided completely until the wound or the swelling is reduced.
- You should avoid touching the piercing. If you have to touch the piercing, first you should wash your hands with soap thoroughly and only then touch it.
- Brushing teeth and keeping the mouth clean also helps in reducing the risk of infections.
- You should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a mild toothpaste to avoid irritation to the piercing.
- Sharing toothbrushes, water glasses, handkerchief, etc., should be discouraged.
- Note that if you are using a tissue or a cloth to wipe the bleeding or treat the swelling, you should throw it away after use and never reuse it to avoid infection.
These tips and techniques will surely help to reduce lip swelling from piercing. If none of these methods work, you can consult the doctor for prescription medications to treat swelling. Take care!
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, seek to replace the advice of an expert.