Before you get yourself a foot tattoo, you should know that it requires additional care to heal. In this article, you will find some instructions that need to be followed to speed up the healing process.
Foot tattoos look really attractive since they are placed on a flat surface. However, it has its own share of disadvantages too. The pain experienced during inking on the foot is much higher. This is because of the absence of muscles in between the skin and the underlying bones. Moreover, several nerves of our body end on the foot, which makes it even more painful. Other than the pain, more bleeding also occurs during inking. Usually, healing time varies between two to five days depending on the size and position of the tattoo.
There are certain issues related to foot tattoos that you should be aware of before getting it done. Following is the list of the important facts about foot tattoos:
- These tattoos should be done in summer and not in winter. Footwear hurt the tattoo a lot and so one cannot wear shoes for some time till the wound is healed. You cannot do without footwear in winter, hence summer is a better time to get it done.
- When you plan to get inked on your foot, it should not be on both feet at the same time. Otherwise, moving around will be very difficult for you.
- The ink often tends to get migrated and thus the tattoo gets blurred. Hence, you have to re-ink it after regular intervals of time.
- The top of the foot is the best position for a tattoo, as the ink is less likely to spread. The sides of the feet or the toes should be avoided, as the chances of the tattoo getting blurred are higher in these parts.
- If you are diabetic, then you should not get inked on your foot at all. This is because diabetes causes a lot of circulation problems. So, any inking below the knee will cause a lot of problems for you.
- As our feet are exposed to a lot of dirt, one has to be careful so that infection does not occur during the healing process.
- Walking is a tough task after inking of the feet because of the swelling and pain. So, you have to give proper rest to your feet for the first few days after getting inked. You may also have to take a break from your work.
- You cannot wear any footwear till your tattoo is considerably healed. If required, you can wear flip flops or any other open shoes that do not cover the inked area. After 4-5 days, if you have to wear shoes, then you have to wear 2 pairs of light socks so that the tattoo does not rub against the hard surface of the shoes.
- You should not drive right after getting a foot tattoo. This is because the pain will get aggravated as a result of pressing the pedals while driving. Therefore, make sure you arrange for a driver who can drive you back once your tattoo is done.
- After reaching home, the first thing that needs to be done is to keep your feet in an elevated position for a couple of hours. This will help to bring down the swelling. For the next couple of days, avoid sitting at a desk for a long time. Whenever you have to sit on a chair, try to keep the inked foot in a raised position.
- Till the tattoo is completely healed, avoid swimming, as the skin is prone to infection during the recovery time. Swimming pools that are used by many other people could be a possible source of bacteria.
- Always keep the inked foot free from dust and dirt. Wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water regularly to disinfect it. Then, dry thoroughly by dabbing it with a towel. Do not rub the towel over the tattoo. Also, never soak your foot in water for the first few weeks.
- The tattoo should be kept in moist with the application of a good quality tattoo care lotion. However, too much of moisture can harm the tattoo and it may start bleeding.
The care instructions given here, if followed properly, can make the healing process faster. However, during the foot tattoo healing period, keep a close watch on the tattoo to check for any kind of infection. Excessive pain, accompanied by swelling and redness of the skin, are the signs of an infected wound. If you observe any of these signs, you should opt for treatments instantly as the infection may become severe very quickly.