The latest trend these days is eyebrow piercing. This piercing is done through the eyebrows and is usually vertical. The piercing can be done anywhere along the eyebrow; however, the area which is at an angle of 35 degrees from the outside corner of the eye is considered safe.
The procedure should be performed properly at the proper location since there are three important nerves present in that region, and while piercing, even a slight hurt to these nerves can lead to excessive damage. Also, since the area where the eyebrow is pierced contains a lot of hair follicles and there are very few tissues present underneath, it is more susceptible to damage.
Symptoms of the Infection
A bump or pimple like thing will appear near the pierced area. Another symptom is swelling of the area. Reddening of the area is also observed. In some cases, discharge of pus and blood will be seen. Irritation and itching will also be experienced in that area. Most of the eyebrow piercings are painful; however, the pain caused due to an infection will be very severe.
Following treatment options will help you treat the infection:
- Prepare a saline solution by mixing sea salt with warm water until the solution tastes like tears. Dip a cotton swab in it and apply it gently over the infected area for about 10-15 minutes. Do not use any other salt such as table salt, Epsom salt, etc. Repeat this procedure for 2-3 times a day until the infection subsides.
- Apply an OTC antibiotic ointment to the infected spot for 1-2 times a day. Avoid the application of bactine, neosporin, peroxide, and rubbing alcohol since they may further irritate the piercing.
- While sleeping, make sure that the pierce is not knocked, else it may aggravate the infection and pain. Proper care should be taken, and the piercing should be kept away from all kinds of risks.
- If there is a pimple at the site of infection, then do not pick at this pimple.
The eyebrow piercing healing process does take a lot of time. At least, 5 to 6 weeks are required for complete healing. Proper care should be taken after piercing to avoid any form of infection. Following are some aftercare measures that should be taken:
- Do not remove the eyebrow jewelry before the piercing heals completely.
- Avoid swimming or sauna baths for about 2 months after the piercing procedure.
- Do not wax or pluck your eyebrows until the piercing is healed.
- Avoid touching the eyebrow jewelry frequently, especially with dirty hands.
- Be careful while sleeping so that the pierced jewelry does not get disturbed.
Since, this piercing is very much near the eye, and also the underlying nerves are near the piercing, the damage to the pierced area can lead to serious problems. If it is showing some other medical symptoms, then it is better to consult a doctor for further evaluation of the condition.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a medical expert.