Belly piercing scar is an aftereffect of belly button piercing. Your body works to remove the mark at a very slow pace. If the removal process is not accelerated, you may have to bear the mark for a long period of time.
Belly piercing may be one of the latest trends, but no one can deny its long term negative effects. The major side effects are keloids and marks that remain for many years. Keloids are the over grown tissues emerging from the pierced and surrounding affected skin. They can only be removed by simple surgical procedures, and there is no home remedy. Scars occur as a consequence of infection. They can be removed remarkably by trying some effective home remedies, which are discussed in the lower part of this article.
Causes of Infection
There are two main causes of this infection. They include allergic reactions against the pierced metal and over cleansing of the pierced skin part. Many people are allergic to the metal that has been pierced into the skin in the navel. This is likely to bring an allergic reaction by the immune system of the body. As a result of allergic reaction, the involved skin will become swollen and inflamed. It may ooze out pus as well. Nickel is the metal that is commonly used in body piercings. You should make sure that you are not allergic to it or any other metal being used.
Once done with the process, many people tend to take improper care of it. They use strong or harsh cleansing agents to keep the pierced skin clean. Over cleansing makes the skin tender to touch. It also over dries the skin and exposes it to microbial infection.
A scar is described as the mark left by the healing of the injured tissue. The best way to prevent its appearance is to protect the tissues from getting injured. You can make it possible to a large extent by taking care of the following points.
- Wash your hands with an antibacterial soap, and apply an antiseptic lotion on them. This is necessary to prevent the transmission of pathogenic bacteria from the wound to other body parts and vice versa.
- Wash the navel at least twice a day. Use an antibacterial soap for this purpose. Make sure that you do not over clean it, as it may intervene with the natural process of healing your skin.
- Pat dry the piercing after washing with soap and water. You may use either a clean towel or a disposable paper product like a tissue or a gauze for drying it.
- Make a salt solution by mixing a cup of water with 2-3 teaspoons of natural sea salt. Allow a couple of drops on the area for about 5 minutes. It will soak off the cell debris and foul blood along with the bacteria present there.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment on the mark.
- Do not rotate the inserted metal, as it may further worsen the mark. It will be good if you sanitize your hands again after performing the above given steps.
- Apply Aloe vera pulp on the fresh wound of pierced button. This will prevent the formation of a mark on the affected skin.
- Take a small slice of lemon, and rub it on the scar. Do it twice daily.
- Place a cotton ball dipped in lavender oil on the mark twice a day. Do it once a day.
- Apply tea tree oil daily before bedtime. It will fade the mark to a great extent.
- Spread a vitamin E capsule on the area for its fast disappearance.
The preventive measures against this infection are efficacious enough to decrease the possibility of pathogenic action. However, if one develops infection, then trying out the home remedies to treat the infection and scar will definitely prove to be of great help.