In recent times, Italian tattoos have become very popular among tattoo aficionados. Among Italian designs, phrases and sayings in Italian are a huge hit. It can be due to the fact that Italian is an exotic language and a very romantic one at that. Many people believe that a foreign language lends a certain degree of charm and intrigue to a tattoo design.
However, you will have to ensure that you are using the correct spelling when the tattoo artist is tattooing the design and will also have to make sure that he is doing it right. If you get a wrong spelling, either the tattoo will have no meaning or may mean something drastically different from what you had in mind.
However, if you are not fond of script tattoos, then you have the option of getting Italian tattoo designs. There is a wide range of options available in them as well.
Italian Tattoo Designs
There is a huge variety of designs in Italian tattoos. The most common ones are the Italian cross, the Italian horn, the Italian flag (in green, white and red color), etc. The Italian horn is a popular design as it is looked upon as a sign of good luck and is said to ward off evil spirits. Good luck sayings can also be incorporated along with the horn.
If you are fond of food, then you can also opt for Italian food tattoo designs. An example can be a plate of macaroni and meatballs, a jug of wine and a cannoli.
Italian Tattoo Sayings
If you are a fan of script tattoos, then you can also think of translating your favorite saying into Italian. The other alternative is to use one of the Italian sayings itself. Here some Italian sayings with their meanings which may prove to be useful.
- per sempre ~ Forever
- La vita e bella ~ Life is Beautiful
- "Esse nufesso qui dice male di macaruni" ~ Who speaks badly of Macaroni is a fool
- "L'amore domina senza regole" ~ Love rules without rules
- "Chi più sa, meno crede" ~ The more one knows, the less one believes.
- "Finchè c'è vita c'è speranza" ~ Where there's life, there's hope
- "Meglio un giorno da leone che cento da pecora" ~ Better one day as a lion than a hundred as a sheep
- "L'amore e cieco" ~ Love is blind
- "Tale il padre, tale il figlio" ~ Like father, like son
- "Tutto è permesso in guerra ed in amore" -- All is fair in war and love
- "Val più la pratica della grammatica" ~ Experience is more important than theory
- "Vivi e lascia vivere" ~ Live and let live
These are just few of the options. There are many others out there which may suit your tastes better. If you plan to get an English saying or phrase into Italian, make sure you have the correct spelling as well as the correct translation.
The location of the tattoo is certainly a personal choice. If you opt for script tattoo, then you can have it tattooed on the nape of the neck, lower back, forearm, wrist, chest, foot, hip bone, etc.
For the other designs, you can certainly choose any body part, like the shoulder blades, neck, wrist, arms, forearms, lower back, etc. As there are many options in these tattoo designs, you can certainly choose a pattern which is rich, colorful and has deep historical roots.